Sunday, February 26, 2012

Week 7: How do you show the light reflection on eyes in an oil painting?


The reflection in someones eye, what is that really?  We can be technical about it and say that it is light coming back to the pupil and reflecting what the viewer sees.  The colors, the intensity of the light and the shapes that sit in the foreground.  The “dash” of white that appears either left or right shows up in oil paintings and it gives reference to light coming in, a sense of direction for the viewer.  As an artist we can manipulate where the “dash” goes.  We can also manipulate what the viewer sees.  How?  In the example I provided I show myself in the reflection of the eye.  My model, was told to look at the lens and I positioned myself so that my head was covered by the pupil but you could see the rest of me.  I could have easily told her to look away and I could have shifted myself and I would have been whole.  Photography is controlling light, controlling my environment and making the image my way.  Is there a story to be told in my picture?  Maybe not but there are ways to find a story in the details of all reflections. 

No comments:

Post a Comment